In Texas, there are approximately 283,922 reports of child abuse and neglect each year, and 25.1% of those children involved are under the age of 3. These numbers have been increasing steadily each year. Because of the vast amount of cases involving child abuse in Montgomery County, and the limited resources available to CPS caseworkers and families, our REACH committee can really make a difference in the lives of those affected by child abuse.
The REACH committee has partnered with the Rainbow Room of Montgomery County, CASA-Child Advocates, Angel Reach, and the Panther Creek Inspiration Ranch
The Rainbow Room is an emergency resource center available to CPS caseworkers to help them meet initial critical needs of children taken into CPS custody. Oftentimes, children are taken into CPS custody with nothing but the clothing on their backs (and sometimes even less) – this room allows CPS caseworkers to pick up needed clothing, toiletry items, baby items. Click here for the REACH Wish List.
CASA volunteers are appointed by judges to watch over and advocate for abused and neglected children. We help the CASA organization with their annual Holiday Party, Fun Run, and Gala.
Angel Reach was founded because for numerous distressing reasons, many children and youth in our community live in alternate homes away from their natural birth parents, including foster care and kinship care. These young people are at extreme risk of life-long poverty, homelessness, substance abuse, early death, and unproductive or under-productive lives.
The Panther Creek Inspiration Ranch provides a Christ centered oasis for children and adults with special challenges seeking excellence in equine activities & therapies while inspiring similar ministries to grow the arena of hope.
Here are some of the ways we help in our community:
- Coordinate collection drives for the Rainbow Room – “Baby Shower,” “Holiday Market Toy Drive,” “Spring Cleaning.”
- Volunteer at the Rainbow Room – organizing, taking inventory, and shelving new donations… Our committee is entirely responsible for the Rainbow Room for one month each year. We also help out as needed through-out the year.
- Monthly CPS case worker treats – we take snacks & treats to the CPS caseworker lounge once a month.
- We created a recognition program for CPS workers that have been employed less than a year, as these employees face large amounts of stress and turnover is highest for employment between 6 and 12 months.
- Host the annual “Fall CPS Caseworker Appreciation Luncheon.”
- CPS Visitation Room Cleaning, Stocking & Makeovers – we decorated and furnished 2 CPS visitation rooms with new furniture, play area rugs, books, toys, puzzles, games in 2012. Since then, we have cleaned & maintained those rooms, replenishing supplies & toys as needed.
- Help fund & provide volunteer man power for the CASA annual Holiday Party in December, as well as the Fun Run and Gala.
- Provide volunteers at the private Angel Reach events for abused children as well as a fun night out for the kids and teens.
- Provide dinner monthly for disabled or abused youth at the PCI Ranch.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about helping the REACH committee.